Monday, January 6, 2014

Hail, hail the gang's all here

January, cold and blank and not-yet-filled up, is a great time to take a memory trip. Just a short one. No time for wandering off into valleys and deserts.

Today, I was looking for a cute pre-school photo to instagram in honor of baby girl's 20th birthday. On the closet floor, I found her favorite childhood book "The Wind in the Willows." She loved it in the same way I like Sunday afternoon golf on TV -- it's such a comforting background for napping.

"The Wind in the Willows," with its friendly rodent characters, became like a worn baby blanket -- something a toddler could cling to and cherish. We took it to Minneapolis with us when she went for her kidney transplant 18 freezing winters ago. And in a flash of sentimentality, I asked the medics in Minneapolis to leave a note for her in the favorite book.

Today, I discovered that those notes, written for a two year old, were the perfect well-wishes for a 20th year birthday.



From our Nigerian housekeeper friend:
 May the Good Lord be with you. I shall continue to remember you in my prayers.


From the lovely woman pediatric nephrologist who was a Mississippi native:
 May your life be filled with rainbows.

From our longtime friend, the good Dr. Nevins: 
Love and prayers for a full life.

Happy 20th Rach!





No comments:

Post a Comment